Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dante Gabriel Rossetti - Regina Cordium or The Queen of Hearts


1860
Red and black chalk on paper, and signed with a monogram
.

THE blessed Damozel lean'd out
From the gold bar of Heaven:
Her blue grave eyes were deeper much
Than a deep water, even.
She had three lilies in her hand,
And the stars in her hair were seven.

Her robe, ungirt from clasp to hem,
No wrought flowers did adorn,
But a white rose of Mary's gift
On the neck meetly worn;
And her hair, lying down her back,
Was yellow like ripe corn.
http://www.daypoems.net/poems/720.html

3 comments:

Natalis said...

Rossetti's art is my favourite from pre-raphaelites.
I saw once his self-portrait and i can't get it out of my head.
It's there in every time of day.
Especially his eyes.

Hermes said...

Personally I prefer Burne Jones. I just (literally) got back from an exhibition where the artist has maintined his technique of using oils and gold leaf. Marvelleous.

Natalis said...

I envy :)